Fresh fruit, veggies available under nutrition program
The V.I. Education Department, State Office of Special Nutrition Programs announces the availability of the 2017-18 Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program that provides children in participating schools with a variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the school day. All public elementary schools in the St. Thomas/St. John and St. Croix districts are encouraged to apply. Applications can be picked up or emailed at the Special Nutrition Programs Office on St. Thomas, at the bottom of Polyberg Hill in the former J. Antonio Jarvis Annex School and on St. Croix at the Education Department, Main Complex located at 2133 Hospital St., Christiansted. Deadline for applying is Sept. 1. For more information, call 340-774-0100, ext. 2812 in St. Thomas or 340-773-1095, ext. 7082 in St. Croix.
Kean summer reading assignments posted online
Ivanna Eudora Kean High School has posted the summer reading assignments for all students for the 2017-18 school year. Students are required to complete the English Language Arts summer assignments that will be submitted to the English Department on Oct. 2, whether you have English in the first or second semester. These assignments will be graded as projects/tests grades. Please visit the Education Department’s website at www.vide.vi and click on the “For Students” tab to locate assignments by grade level.
Stuff the Bus campaign taking donations
The United Way of the U.S. Virgin Islands announces the second annual “Stuff the Bus” school supply drive. This year’s goal is to distribute 1,000 school supply packages territorywide. School supply donations are being accepted through Aug. 30. St. Thomas drop-off sites are Viya, UPS, V.I. Lottery, V.I. EDA, Frenchtown Deli, Netjeberg Bay Enterprises, V.I. Labor Department, Mon Cherrie Café and the United Way USVI Nisky Center Office. St. Croix sites are Viya, UPS, V.I. Lottery, V.I. EDA, V.I. Labor Department, Absolute Auto and the United Way USVI Gallows Bay Office. For more information email email@example.com or call 340-626-5464.
Mandatory orientation sessions for public schools
Virgin Islands public schools have announced mandatory orientation sessions for the upcoming school year.
Students must be dressed in their school uniform, be accompanied by a parent or guardian and present their immunization records and pay the required school fees. Families who do not wish to purchase school accident insurance must present a photocopy of an insurance card (front and back) on which the student is covered.
Orientation sessions are:
• Joseph A. Gomez Elementary School, Thursday from 9 to 11 a.m. for grades 1 and 2 and noon to 2 p.m. for grades 3 and 4; and Friday from 9 to 11 a.m. for grades 5 and 6 and noon to 2 p.m. for all kindergartners and new incoming students. For more information, contact the school at 340-775-4490.
• St. Croix Educational Complex High School, Aug. 29 at 9 a.m. in the auditorium. This orientation is mandatory for all students who did not attend the sessions in May/June. For families who attended the early orientation sessions in May/June the fee payment schedule is as follows: Thursday, grade 12; August 25, grade 11; Aug. 28, grade 10; and Aug. 29, grade nine. For more information, contact the school at 340-778-2036.
• Bertha C. Boschulte Middle School, Aug. 30 at 9 a.m. for grade 6; 11 a.m. for grade 7; and Aug. 31 at 9 a.m. for grade 8. For more information, the school at 340-775-4028.
• Charlotte Amalie High School, Aug. 30 at 8 a.m. for grade 9, last names A–L; and 12:30 p.m. for grade 9, last names M-Z; Aug. 31 at 8 a.m. for grade 10 and 12:30 p.m. for grade 11; and Sept. 1 at 8 a.m. for grade 12. Returning students must address all outstanding obligations prior to receiving a class schedule. For more information, call the school at 340- 774-0780.
• Arthur A. Richards Junior High School, Aug. 31 from 8 to 11 a.m. for grade 7 and noon to 2 p.m. for grade 8. For more information, contact the school at 340-772-1500.
• Alexander Henderson Elementary School, Aug. 31 from 9 to 10:30 a.m. for all incoming kindergarten students and new/transfer students. For more information, contact the school at 340-772-1330.
• Ricardo Richards Elementary School, Aug. 31 at 9 a.m. for students in grades one to six, including new and transfer students.
Afternoon at the movies
for all celebrates ADA
The Office of the Governor Americans with Disabilities Act announces its 2017 back-to-school event, “An Afternoon at the Movies for All,” at 4 p.m. Sept. 1 at Caribbean Cinemas on St. Thomas and at 1 p.m. Sept. 3 at Caribbean Cinemas on St. Croix. Children ages 5 to 12 are invited to participate. Registration is required by calling 340-772-1000 on St. Croix and 340-693-4350 on St. Thomas. For more information, call 340-227-2348.
Free parent conference set for Sept. 3 on St. Thomas
The Education Department, Office of the Insular Superintendent, St. Thomas-St. John District, will host its 7th annual Parent Conference, themed, “Parent Engagement: Maximizing Every Child’s Potential,” on Sept. 3 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Sugar Bay Resort and Spa on St. Thomas.
The one-day event is free and open to all parents and guardians with students enrolled in public schools. The gathering will serve to educate attendees about the district’s vision, mission, goals and initiatives, as well as help parents learn the systems in place to support them and understand the role they are to play.
Breakout sessions will feature targeted conversations around topics relevant to parenting in the 21st century, including bullying, budgeting, literacy, communication, and more. Local businesses and organizations will also offer information about the services they can provide.
Complimentary shuttle service will be available from the Lockhart Elementary School parking lot to Sugar Bay Resort for attendees that pre-register. Lunch will be provided for all participants.
To pre-register and for more information, contact Jerae Forde, director of School and Community Affairs, at 340-775-2250, ext. 8569.
Registration open for college preparatory center
Registration is now open for the College Preparatory Learning Center on St. Thomas. All returning students must re-register. Medical and nutrition documents must be updated before students return. Orientation will be held on Sept. 1 and classes begin Sept. 5. For more information call 340-777-2752.