Day of prayer, outreach
V.I. Mothers Against Guns, Inc., in conjunction with Sounds of Jubilee Ministries and the St. Thomas/St. John Fellowship of Pastors, will sponsor the Back to School Day of Prayer and Blessing Outreach on Sept. 3 from 3 to 5 p.m. at Emancipation Garden on St. Thomas. Prayers will be offered up for students, teachers, faculty, support staff, educational personnel, and families in the territory. This event is open to the public.
The groups also are urging parents, and particularly fathers, to take their children to school on the first day of school, and continue to contribute significantly to their children’s education throughout the school year.
For further information, contact Celia A. Carroll, president, V.I. Mothers Against Guns, at 340-775-9337 or 340-690-5759 or visit the Facebook page, V.I. Walk Run Against Violence.
Virgin Islands public schools have announced mandatory orientation sessions for the upcoming school year.
Students must be dressed in their school uniform, be accompanied by a parent or guardian and present their immunization records and pay the required school fees. Families who do not wish to purchase school accident insurance must present a photocopy of an insurance card (front and back) on which the student is covered.
Orientation sessions are:
• Jane E. Tuitt Primary School registration will be held each day this week from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the library. The Welcome Orientation Open House and Opening PTSA Meeting is Sept. 27. For information, call 340-774-0520.
• Bertha C. Boschulte Middle School, Wednesday at 9 a.m. for grade 6; 11 a.m. for grade 7; and Thursday at 9 a.m. for grade 8. Call 340-775-4028.
• Charlotte Amalie High School, Wednesday at 8 a.m. for grade 9, last names A–L; and 12:30 p.m. for grade 9, last names M-Z; Thursday at 8 a.m. for grade 10 and 12:30 p.m. for grade 11; and Friday at 8 a.m. for grade 12. Call 340- 774-0780.
• Arthur A. Richards Junior High School, Thursday from 8 to 11 a.m. for grade 7 and noon to 2 p.m. for grade 8. Call 340-772-1500.
• Alexander Henderson Elementary School, Thursday from 9 to 10:30 a.m. for all incoming kindergarten students and new/transfer students. Call 340-772-1330.
• Ricardo Richards Elementary School, Thursday at 9 a.m. for students in grades one to six, including new and transfer students.
• John H. Woodson Junior High School, Thursday from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. for seventh-grade students and 1 to 3 p.m. for eighth grade. Call 340-778-2710.
• Lew Muckle Elementary School, Thursday in the cafetorium as follows: Kindergartners, new students and parents at 8:30 a.m.; returning students and parents at 10:30 a.m. Call 340-778-5286.
• Joseph Sibilly School will hold a “Back to School Night” for all parents on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Students are not required to attend. Call 340-774-7001.
• Eulalie R. Rivera Elementary School, Thursday at 10 a.m. for parents of all students in kindergarten to sixth grade, new, transfer and returning. Students are not required to attend. Call 340-692-2121.
• At Ulla F. Muller Elementary School will hold orientation for new students on Sept. 5 at 8:15 a.m. in the cafeteria; kindergarten students at 9 a.m. in the library; on Sept. 6 at 8:30 a.m. in the cafeteria for fifth-graders and at 9:45 a.m. in the cafeteria for sixth-graders; and on Sept. 7 at 8:15 a.m. in the classrooms for first- and second-grades, 8:15 a.m. in the cafeteria for third-graders and 8:45 a.m. in the cafeteria for fourth-graders.
• Elena Christian Junior High School students will report to school on Sept. 5 at 7 a.m. when class schedules will be distributed. All students will report to their first class at 7:30 a.m. School ends at 2:30 p.m. Call 340-718-4445.
• Juanita Gardine Elementary School, Sept. 5 at 8 a.m. in the auditorium for all incoming kindergarten and new/transfer students. Returning students and their parents should report directly to their assigned classrooms at 7:50 a.m. The school-wide assembly will be held at 9 a.m. Call 340-718-0051.
• Yvonne E. Milliner-Bowsky Elementary School: Sept. 5, first day of school, 8 a.m. registration for all new students in the cafeteria; 9 a.m. in the library for all kindergarten stduents; Sept. 7 at 8 a.m. in the cafeteria for grades one to three; and Sept. 8 at 8 a.m. in the cafeteria for grades four through six. Call 340-775-3220.
The Office of the Governor Americans with Disabilities Act announces its 2017 back to school event, “An Afternoon at the Movies for All,” at 4 p.m. Sept. 1 at Caribbean Cinemas on St. Thomas and at 1 p.m. Sept. 3 at Caribbean Cinemas on St. Croix. Children ages 5 to 12 are invited to participate. Registration is required by calling 340-772-1000 on St. Croix and 340-693-4350 on St. Thomas. One child per household will get free admission with popcorn and a drink. All participants will receive a book bag with school supplies after the movie and additional prizes will be raffled. If all the spots are not filled, additional children from the household will be offered free admission, popcorn and a drink. For more information, call 340-227-2348.
The Education Department, Office of the Insular Superintendent, St. Thomas-St. John District, will host its 7th annual Parent Conference, themed, “Parent Engagement: Maximizing Every Child’s Potential,” on Sept. 3 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Sugar Bay Resort and Spa on St. Thomas.
The one-day event is free and open to all parents and guardians with students enrolled in public schools. The gathering will serve to educate attendees about the district’s vision, mission, goals and initiatives, as well as help parents learn the systems in place to support them and understand the role they are to play.
Breakout sessions will feature targeted conversations around topics relevant to parenting in the 21st century, including bullying, budgeting, literacy, communication, and more. Local businesses and organizations will also offer information about the services they can provide.
Complimentary shuttle service will be available from the Lockhart Elementary School parking lot to Sugar Bay Resort for attendees that pre-register. Lunch will be provided for all participants.
To pre-register and for more information, contact Jerae Forde, director of School and Community Affairs, at 340-775-2250, ext. 8569.
Registration is now open for the College Preparatory Learning Center on St. Thomas. All returning students must re-register. Medical and nutrition documents must be updated before students return. Orientation will be held on Sept. 1 and classes begin Sept. 5. For more information call 340-777-2752.