Janlyn Hendricks of St. Croix has been named to the spring 2017 dean’s list at Becker College in Worcester, Mass.
The V.I. Education Department, State Office of Special Nutrition Programs announces the availability of the 2017-18 Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program that provides all children in participating schools with a variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the school day. All public elementary schools in the St. Thomas/St. John and St. Croix districts are encouraged to apply. Applications can be picked up or emailed at the Special Nutrition Programs Office on St. Thomas, at the bottom of Pollyberg Hill in the former J. Antonio Jarvis Annex School and on St. Croix at the Education Department, Main Complex located at 2133 Hospital St., Christiansted. Deadline for applying is Sept. 1. For more information, call 340-774-0100, ext. 2812 in St. Thomas or 340-773-1095, ext. 7082 in St. Croix.
Abbelle Bakr, New Horizon Women’s Democratic Club Inc., interim chairwoman announces the launch of the club’s latest community service initiative, a back-to-school uniform exchange. NHWDC has partnered with pharmacist Dr. Kisha Christian of Neighborhood Pharmacy to collect the uniforms. Families with used, clean, neat school uniforms that are no longer in use are asked to drop these off at Neighborhood Pharmacy during business hours through Saturday. Parents that need uniforms can pick up the gently used uniforms starting Saturday. Contact Abbelle Bakr for more information or to partner with the effort at 340-643-0905. Like the NHWDC Facebook page to stay updated on the club’s meetings and events.
The United Way of the U.S. Virgin Islands announces the second annual “Stuff the Bus” school supply drive. This year’s goal is to distribute 1,000 school supply packages territorywide. School supply donations are being accepted through Aug.30. St. Thomas drop-off sites are Viya, UPS, V.I. Lottery, V.I. EDA, Frenchtown Deli, Netjeberg Bay Enterprises, V.I. Labor Department, Mon Cherrie Café and the United Way USVI Nisky Center Office. St. Croix sites are Viya, UPS, V.I. Lottery, V.I. EDA, V.I. Labor Department, Absolute Auto and the United Way USVI Gallows Bay Office. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 340-626-5464.
The Department of Human Services, Office of Preschool Services Head Start Program, announces its “Parent Orientation” for the upcoming school year will take place at the St. Croix Educational Complex Auditorium today at the following times: Frederiksted, Marley, and Concordia, 8:30 to 11 a.m.; and Christiansted, Profit, Kingshill, Anna’s Hope and Richmond, 12:30 to 3 p.m. For additional information, contact the Head Start Administrative Office at 340-773-1972.
The Education Department, in conjunction with DPNR’s Division of Libraries, Archives and Museums invites students in grades K-6 and their parents to the second annual Back to School Night at the Library, slated for Saturday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Turnbull Library on St. Thomas and Aug. 26 from 5 to 8 p.m. at Florence Williams Public Library in Christiansted, St. Croix.
The free event is in support of the ninth-annual Governor’s Summer Reading Challenge, which challenges students in grades K-6 to read five or more books during the summer. The challenge began on June 12 and will conclude on Sept. 22. Students will enjoy storytelling, story writing, arts and crafts and more. There will also be workshops and activities for parents. Students must be accompanied by an adult. Complimentary snacks will be provided. For more information call 340-774-0100, ext. 8136 on St. Thomas or 340-773-1095, ext. 7091 on St. Croix. Visit www.readfive.org.
Sunshine Mall on St. Croix will host a Back to After-School Activities Fair on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Organizations that provide after-school activities will share what they have to offer at this free event. To register your organization, call 340-692-5700. To learn more, visit sunshinemallvi.com.
Viya and TS Promotions on St. Croix present Tools for Schools Giveaway 2017 on Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. at Barren Spot Village Mall on St. Croix. Three hundred backpacks will be given away along with free school supplies, face painting and costumed characters. There also will be a school uniform raffle, a chance to win free internet for three months, coupons for free haircuts and free Crucian ice. Parents must be present with children to receive supplies and prizes; one free backpack per child.
Virgin Islands public schools have announced mandatory orientation sessions for the upcoming school year.
Students must be dressed in their school uniform, be accompanied by a parent or guardian and present their immunization records and pay the required school fees. Families who do not wish to purchase school accident insurance must present a photocopy of an insurance card (front and back) on which the student is covered.
Orientation sessions are:
• Joseph A. Gomez Elementary School, Aug. 24 from 9 to 11 a.m. for grades 1 and 2 and noon to 2 p.m. for grades 3 and 4; and Aug. 25 from 9 to 11 a.m. for grades 5 and 6 and noon to 2 p.m. for all kindergartners and new incoming students. For more information, contact the school at 340-775-4490.
• St. Croix Educational Complex High School, Aug. 29 at 9 a.m. in the auditorium. This orientation is mandatory for all students who did not attend the sessions in May/June. For families who attended the early orientation sessions in May/June the fee payment schedule is as follows: Aug. 24, grade 12; August 25, grade 11; Aug. 28, grade 10; and Aug. 29, grade nine. For more information, contact the school at 340-778-2036.
• Bertha C. Boschulte Middle School, Aug. 30 at 9 a.m. for grade 6; 11 a.m. for grade 7; and Aug. 31 at 9 a.m. for grade 8. For more information, the school at 340-775-4028.
• Charlotte Amalie High School, Aug. 30 at 8 a.m. for grade 9, last names A–L; and 12:30 p.m. for grade 9, last names M-Z; Aug. 31 at 8 a.m. for grade 10 and 12:30 p.m. for grade 11; and Sept. 1 at 8 a.m. for grade 12. Returning students must address all outstanding obligations prior to receiving a class schedule. For more information, call the school at 340- 774-0780.
• Arthur A. Richards Junior High School, Aug. 31 from 8 to 11 a.m. for grade 7 and noon to 2 p.m. for grade 8. For more information, contact the school at 340-772-1500.
The Education Department, Office of the Insular Superintendent, St. Thomas-St. John District, will host its seventh-annual Parent Conference, themed, “Parent Engagement: Maximizing Every Child’s Potential,” on Sept. 3 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Sugar Bay Resort and Spa on St. Thomas.
The one-day event is free and open to all parents and guardians with students enrolled in public schools. The gathering will serve to educate attendees about the district’s vision, mission, goals and initiatives, as well as help parents learn the systems in place to support them and understand the role they are to play.
To preregister and for more information, contact Jerae Forde, director of School and Community Affairs, at 340-775-2250, ext. 8569.