The St. Croix man murdered Tuesday was on house arrest and awaiting trial for the 2017 carjacking and rape of a teenage girl on the island’s East End, according to police and court records.

Lincoln “Link” Baltimore Jr., 20, was shot and killed at around 10:38 a.m. at a home in Concordia Bay, Frederiksted, according to V.I. Police.

V.I. Superior Court clerk Iris Cintron confirmed Wednesday that Baltimore was a defendant in two pending criminal cases, including the infamous East End carjacking and rape.

Police have not made an arrest in the murder.

Acting V.I. Police Commissioner Jason Marsh said investigators are considering all possible motives, and it’s too early to say whether Baltimore was killed by a vigilante seeking revenge for the rape.

“As law enforcement we can’t go on assumption, we have to go on fact-based evidence. And until we have any facts, we can’t definitively say that,” Marsh said.

He asked for the public’s help in locating Baltimore’s murderer, and other shooters in the community.

“If there’s anyone that has information that can aid us in bringing his killer to justice, we really appreciate the public’s assistance. We are aware that he was a suspect in a crime, but now he’s a victim,” Marsh said.

Cintron said that in one of the pending criminal cases, Baltimore and four other men were charged with grand larceny and related crimes, including Youan Rodriguez, who is free on bond; Carl Cornelius, who is free on bond; and Hubert Lee Jr., who remains detained pending trial.

The fifth co-defendant, Cristobal Perez, has pleaded guilty to third-degree burglary in an agreement with prosecutors, and Cintron said a sentencing date has not yet been scheduled.

A status conference in the case is scheduled for Tuesday, according to court records.

In the rape and carjacking case, Baltimore was charged with two co-defendants — Rodriguez and Lee.

A status conference in that case is scheduled for June 21, Cintron said.

Police said at the time of their arrests that Baltimore and his co-defendants were accused of forcing their way through the sliding glass door of a residence in Estate Annaly on May 5, 2017, then vandalizing it and stealing things. The three men left in the pickup truck belonging to the owners of the home, who were not there at the time, police said.

Baltimore, Rodriguez, and Lee are also accused of working together to force their way into Rhythms at Rainbow Beach in Frederiksted on May 6 and stealing more than $4,000 cash and other items. Police said the pickup stolen in the Annaly burglary on May 5 was the vehicle the men used during the carjacking and rape the next night, on May 6.

The three men are accused of ramming the stolen truck into a vehicle driven by two teenage girls on the East End, causing them to stop. Police said one of the girls managed to get away, but the men carjacked the other one and raped her before releasing her.

Cintron said that at the time of his murder, Baltimore had been free on bond — $100,000 for the grand larceny case and $500,000 for the rape – and was ordered to remain under 24-hour house arrest in the custody of a third-party custodian, with electronic monitoring.

Marsh declined to comment on certain details of the case Wednesday, including whether anyone else was at home at the time of the murder, and how the shooting was reported to police. Marsh said police have no reason to believe that Baltimore’s co-defendants are in danger.

“If there had been any credible threats to those individuals, we have no knowledge of it,” Marsh said.

Marsh emphasized that the more information police have to work with, the sooner they’ll be able to resolve homicide cases.

“The department needs the assistance of the community,” Marsh said.

Anyone with information about Baltimore’s murder or other crimes in the territory is asked to contact 911, the Criminal Investigation Bureau at 340-778-2211, or the anonymous tip service Crime Stoppers USVI at 1-800-222-8477, or crimestoppersvi.org.

— Contact Suzanne Carlson at 340-714-9122 or email scarlson@dailynews.vi.